- Explore Typical Gurung and Magar villages and enjoy their hospitality.
- Magnificent sunrise view over the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri range from Poon Hill (3210 M).
- Short and easy trek through the most dazzling lands of the Himalayas.
- Trek through lush valleys and rhododendron forests.
Ghorepani Ghandruk trek is a short and relatively easy trek in the lower Annapurna region. This trek offers fantastic views of the mountains together with the traditional village life of the Gurung and Magar tribe. The route follows the ancient trails that connect local communities as you pass through blooming rhododendron forests and rice paddies, with the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges dominating the background. Sunrise view over the Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, Hiunchuli, and Machhapuchhre from the top of Poon Hill (3,210m) is the major highlight of this trek. Watching the gradual rise of the sun reflecting off the mountains will leave you spell-bound.
This journey begins with a drive from Pokhara to Nayapul. From Nayapul, the trail follows along the Modi Khola river to Tikhedhunga. The trek goes through a stunningly beautiful landscape, past forests of rhododendron, as well as several streams along the way. The most strenuous part is the uphill hike over 3300 stone steps up to Ulleri. From here, it’s a beautiful uphill hike to Ghorepani village. Ghorepani village is a beautiful village inhabited by Magar and Gurung people. Here, we will get the opportunity to observe the hillside village culture and lifestyle. Early next morning, we make our way to Poon Hill to view sunrise over the snowcapped Himalaya. Then we return to Pokhara through the large Gurung village of Ghandruk.
Itinerary in brief
Day 1. Pokhara to Tikkhedhunga(1570m/4-5hrs)
Our guide will pick you up from the hotel and drive for an hour to Nayapul. Our trek begins from Nayapul along the Modi Khola valley to Tikhedhunga. The trail goes through the warm subtropical region following the Modi Khola upstream to Birethanti. From Birethanti, we follow the Bhurungdi Khola across dense forest and beautiful views to Tikhedhunga. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 2. Tikhedhunga to Ghorepani(2874m/6hrs)
From Tikhedhunga, we descend to the Bhurungdi Khola and cross over a suspension bridge. Hereafter, the trail is a steep uphill hike over stone steps until Ulleri. From Ulleri, it is a gradual hike with some ascend and descend through forests of rhododendron and Oak to Ghorepani. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 3. Ghorepani to Tadapani(2610m/6hrs)
Early morning we hike up to Poon Hill (3210m). Poon hill offers the best sunrise view with panoramic views of Dhaulagiri, Annapurna South, Machapuchhre, Nilgiri south, Annapurna I, and other peaks. We then descend to Ghorepani for breakfast. Following breakfast, we continue through forests of pine and rhododendron to Tadapani. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 4. Tadapani to Ghandruk(2012m/4-5hrs)
Today’s hike will be mostly downhill. We will descend gently through forests of rhododendron and oak to Ghandruk, a traditional Gurung village. In Ghandruk, we will visit the traditional handicraft center and the Gurung museum to understand the culture and way of life. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 5. Ghandruk to Pokhara.
After breakfast, we hike downhill across terraced rice fields and villages to Nayapul and drive to Pokhara to your hotel.
MealsAll meals including some tea/coffee.
Trip AccommodationTea house/trekkers lodge with basic amenities.
Trip Type Trekking
Trip SeasonsAll the year round except during the monsoon(June-Aug) season.
Best MonthsMarch, April, May, September, October, November
Good MonthsJanuary, February, December
Lean MonthsJune, July, August
Prices & Dates
- All hotel transfers by private vehicle.
- Accommodation in local village lodge/tea house with all meals during the trek.
- English speaking local guide along with porter(one porter for every two-member) during the trek.
- Guide, porter, and trekking staff insurance.
- All necessary paperwork and permit (TIMS/ ACAP)
- All Government taxes and service charges.
- Any other meal not specified above.
- Personal Travel Medical Insurance.
- Personal expenses such as bar, beverages, tips and gratuities, laundry, telephone, battery recharge, etc.
- Any extra cost forced upon by changing the itinerary due to your health, natural condition, political situation, or early return from the trek.
- All other personal expenses not listed in the included section.
Accommodation in trekkers lodge/tea house during the trek.