• Ideal for those who have a short time limit.
• Explore and observe the culture, tradition and lifestyle of the Hyolmo people.
• Stunning views of the snowcapped mountains.
• Walk across terraced rice fields.
Helambu Trek is a short and an easy trek that starts from Sundarijal, Sundarijal is about an hour’s drive from Kathmandu. The trek goes through the Shivapuri National Park, across dense forests, several Tamang and Sherpa villages along the way with the opportunity to meet the locals and learn about their daily lives. Helambu trek offers stunning view of the Langtang, Manaslu, Ganesh Himal and Gauri Shankar. This trek is suitable for those who have a short time limit and want to combine both culture and nature in just one trip.
The trek starts from Sundarijal through the Shivapuri National Park and continue to Chisopani, Kutumsang, Tharepati, Sermathang and ends at Melamchi Pul Bazar in the Helambu region.
Day 1. Kathmandu to Sundarijal-Trek to Chisopani(2195m/4hrs).
Pick up from your hotel and drive about an hour to Sundarijal. From here we hike through the Shivapuri National Park and arrive at Mulkharka, the first village on this trail. From here it goes over the ridge through forests of Oak and rhododendron to Chisaponi and halt for the night. Overnight in a village lodge.
Day 2. Chisopani-Kutumsang(2470m/6-7hrs)
The trail descends on a fairly level trail crossing meadows and fields to Pati Bhanjyang and from here it is a gentle descend to Gul Bhanjyang. From Gul Bhanjyang the trail climbs for sometime and then descend to Kutumsang. Overnight in a village lodge.
Day 3. Kutumsang-Tharepati(3650m/6hrs)
The trail continues north to Yurin Danda, Yurin Danda provides a marvelous view of the Himalayan peaks. From Yurin Danda it is an uphill climb along a steep trail through fir and rhododendron forest and gradually descend to Magingoth. From here it is a gradual ascend to Tharepati with breathtaking view of the snow-capped mountain peaks like the Jugal Himal, Gauri Shankar, Dorje Lakpa and other peaks. Overnight in a village lodge.
Day 4. Tharepati-Tarkheghyang(2743m/6hrs)
From Tharepati the trail descends through pine and rhododendron forest through Helambu valley to Melamchi Gaon. Melamchi Gaon is a beautiful village surrounded by forests and mostly inhabited by the Sherpa tribe. From Melamchi Gaon we descend and cross over a stream and climb up to Tarkheghyang. Tarkheghyang is a beautiful Sherpa village with one of the oldest monastery in this region. Overnight in a village lodge.
Day 5. Tarkeghyang – Shermanthang(2621/4hrs)
The trail from Tarkheghyang to Sehrmanthang is comparatively easy and over flat land along some forests, Sherpa villages and terraced rice fields. After passing across a couple of streams and waterfalls we arrive at the beautiful Sherpa village of Sehrmanthang. Overnight in a village lodge.
Day 6. Sehrmanthang-Melamchi Pul Bazaar (870m/3-4hrs)-Drive to Kathmandu (3hrs)
Today we will descend downhill through meadows and cultivated fields with view of the Himalayan peaks across several villages to Melamchi Pul Bazaar. Lunch will be served at Melamchi Pul Bazaar and after lunch drive to Kathmandu(3hrs) and transfer to your hotel(within the city limit).
MealsAll meals along with some coffee/tea.
Trip AccommodationBasic village trekker"s lodge/tea house.
RouteKathmandu-Sundarijal-Chisopani-Kutumsang-Tharepati-Tarkeyghyang-Shermanthang-Melamchi Pul Bazaar-Kathmandu
Trip Type Trekking
Trip SeasonsAll the year round except during the monsoon season(June, July & August)
Best MonthsMarch, April, May, September, October, November
Good MonthsJanuary, February, December
Lean MonthsJune, July, August
Prices & Dates
• All hotel transfer by private vehicle.
• Accommodation in local village lodge/tea house during the trek with all meals.
• Experienced English speaking local guide along with porter (one porter for every two member) during the trek.
• Guide, porter and trekking staff insurance.
• All necessary paper work and permit (TIMS/NP fee)
• Hire of sleeping bag if required with minimal cleaning charge.
• All Government taxes and service charges.
• Any other meals not specified above.
• Personal Travel Medical Insurance (covering rescue and evacuation) recommended.
• Personal expenses such as bar, beverages, tips and gratuities, laundry, telephone, battery recharge, etc.
• Any extra cost incurred due to changing the itinerary, like early return from the trek.
• All other personal expenses not listed in the included section
Accommodation in trekkers lodge/tea house during the trek.