• Explore the UNESCO Heritage Sites around Kathmandu Valley
• Scenic drive through winding mountain road
• Trek to the remote villages of Nar & Phu.
• Trek off the beaten path only a few have walked.
• Stay in ancient villages that have seen only a little change over centuries.
• Observe the Tibetan influenced lifestyle and culture of the people.
• Enjoy great mountain views of the Annapurna, Himlung, Gangapurna and other peaks.
Nar Phu valley trek is an incredible journey to the less explored, remote villages of Nar and Phu. Hidden between the Annapurna and the Manaslu region, Nar and Phu are still untouched by modernity. This journey offers you the rare opportunity to taste the Himalayan life style, ancient Tibetan culture and tradition, Buddhist monasteries along with the majestic view of snow capped mountain.
Nar Phu valley trek follows the regular Annapurna Circuit Trail up to Koto. From here we cross the Marshyangdi river and follow off the beaten trail towards north to Nar Phu valley. The trail passes along several villages, ruins, monasteries and opens up to a huge expanse of mountain peaks of Kang Garu and Pisang and several other peaks. Explore the valley of Nar and Phu, crossover the Kang la to Ngawal. From Ngawal descend down to Pisang and then drive to Kathmandu.
Day 1. Arrival in Kathmandu.
Upon arrival at the airport, our representative/guide will meet you and transfer to your hotel. Depending on your arrival time you can either relax at your hotel or take a short self guided tour of the city. Evening dinner at a traditional Nepali Restaurant. Overnight in hotel.
Day 2. In Kathmandu (trek preparation).
Today in the first half we will visit some of the major UNESCO World Heritage Sites within the city, that may include the Swayambunath temple, followed by Bouddhanath Stupa and Kathmandu Durbar Square. The later part of the day we shall keep as preparation and planning for the trek. Overnight in hotel.
Day 3. Kathmandu to Koto(2600m) via Besi Sahar(7-8hrs)
We leave Kathmandu early morning and drive to Besi Sahar along the Prithvi Highway. Lunch will be planned at Besi Sahar. After lunch, change to a four-wheel drive vehicle and drive to Koto. The drive could be quite bumpy but incredibly scenic with amazing gorges and stunning waterfalls all along the way. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 4. Koto to Meta (3560 m/6-7 hrs).
The trail passes through rhododendron and pine forests, past several caves and waterfalls. As we climb higher, the thick green forest give way to sparsely scattered bushes and the view gets wider. After a steep climb uphill we arrive at Meta, a small village situated on a flat land with beautiful views of some of the snow covered peaks of the area. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 5. Meta to Phu (4250m/6-7 hrs)
The trek to Phu goes across some of the most unique chortens for which Nar and Phu are well known of. The trail passes through scenic canyons and gorges until we reach a monolith that guards the steep trail to Phu. From here we get the first view of the villages in the area as well as the old “Dzong” and the remains of the ruined forts. We continue along the stream and arrive at Phu gate, leading to Phu village. Upon arrival check into our lodges freshen up and later we will hike to the Tashi Lhakhang Gompa monastery to pay our respects. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 6. In Phu(Acclimatization day).
An acclimatization day in Phu is recommended because of high altitude. The best way is to explore the village, where you will have the opportunity to interact with the locals and learn more about their culture, tradition and daily lives. Option is also available to take a hike to the Himlung(7125m) Base Camp which goes through a glacial valley. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 7. Phu village to Nar village (4150 m/6-7 hrs).
After a good days rest in Phu village, we will trek back to Khyang, and continue to the intersection where the trail branches off to Nar. The trail follows over sandy gullies along beautiful gorges with breathtaking views and finally reach Nar gate at the top of the hill. From here we pass along some beautifully painted bamboo topped chortens and arrive at Nar village. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 8. In Nar village (Acclimatization day)
Today is the second scheduled acclimatization day in this trek before crossing the Kang la pass. We are recommended to rest and get acclimatized with the altitude. We spend the day taking a day hike nearby and explore the village and have a close look over the local culture and lifestyle of the local people. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 9. Nar-Kang La Pass (5,240m)-Ngawal(3660m)(7-8hrs)
Today we have a long day, wake up early morning and head towards the Kang La pass, the pass connects us to the regular Annapurna circuit route. The pass provides a magnificent view of Pisang peak, Annapurna II, Gangapurna and Tilicho peak. After spending some time at the pass descend down pastureland and yak herders camp to Ngawal on the Upper Pisang route to Annapurna Circuit trek. Overnight in trekkers lodge.
Day 10. Ngawal-Upper Pisang(3300m/5-6 hrs)-Besi Sahar(3.5 hrs).
We head for Pisang today. Set off early for the last leg of our Nar Phu valley trek. The trail to Pisang is wide and comfortable, at Pisang hop into a 4WD and drive to Besisahar. Overnight in trekkers Lodge.
Day 11. Besi Sahar-Kathmandu(5 hrs).
After breakfast drive back to Kathmandu. Spend the evening shopping for souvenirs or just relax in your hotel rooms. Overnight in hotel
Day 12 Depart Kathmandu.
Transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
RouteKathmandu-Besi Sahar-Koto-Meta-Phu-Nar-Ngawal-Upper Pisang-Kathmandu
Trip Type Trekking
Best MonthsMarch, April, May, September, October, November
Lean MonthsJune, July, August
Not RecommendJanuary, December
Prices & Dates
• All airport and hotel transfer by private vehicle.
• Half day sightseeing with entrance fee accompanied by a local guide as per itinerary.
• Accommodation in above listed or similar hotels in Kathmandu and in local village lodges/tea house during the trek.
• Only breakfast during the stay in Kathmandu and 3 standard meals including 3 coffee/tea during the trek.
• One welcome/farewell dinner in Kathmandu.
• Experienced English speaking local guide along with porter(one porter for every two pax) during the trek.
• Guide, porter and trekking staff insurance.
• All necessary paper work and permit (TIMS/ ACAP/RAP)
• Hire of sleeping bag on request with minimal cleaning charges.
• All Government taxes and service charges.
- Nepal entry visa(can be obtained on arrival upon paying US$50 per person requires 2 pp. size photos).
- International flight to and from Kathmandu.
- Lunch and dinner or any other meal not specified above.
- Personal Travel Medical Insurance(we strongly recommend to purchase travel medical insurance that covers rescue and evacuation).
- Personal expenses such as bar, beverages, tips and gratuities, laundry, telephone, battery recharge, etc.
- Hot showers during the trek.
- Any extra cost incurred due to changing the itinerary, like early return from the trek.
- All other personal expenses not listed in the included section
3-4* hotels in Kathmandu and in trekkers lodge/tea house during the trek