Bhutan Travel Cost
So what is the cost of travel in Bhutan ?
Bhutan Government sets minimum price per day per person. That cost varies by season. During the high season the minimum price is US$250 per night and during the lean season is US$200 per night. Further if you are in a group of less than 3 members, there are additional surcharges of $30 per day per person and $40 per day per person. The high season months are March, April, May, September, October, and November.
This Bhutan Travel Cost includes:
- Daily tourist fees, also called royalties.
- Vehicle for transfer and land transportation
- English speaking licensed Guide
- Entrance fees to the regular tourist sites/ monuments
- Accommodation in twin/double sharing room in 3 star hotels or best available where 3 star is not available or in tents if trekking. (Single room costs are extra)
- All three meals at these hotels or tents on in local restaurants
- If you are trekking, the cost includes camping equipment, pack animals (horses or yaks) for carrying your luggage and camping gears, camp staffs such as cooks and horseman.
In addition to the above, the each person pays one time fee of US$50 for the entire trip as extra for Visa and TDF (Tourism Development fund).
Any cost of upgrading hotels is extra, which depends on the cost of room and meals at that particular hotel. This may be necessary at times, because the regular 3 star hotels may not be available, or because the tour operator deems it appropriate to suggest, or you choose to upgrade yourself. Any other services you wish to available, including the costs of flights are extra.
Discounts on Bhutan cost
The following categories of visitors are eligible for discounts on the daily rate:
Children below 5 years of age at the time of travel, if accompanied by parents can travel for free. Government part of fees are free (except visa fees). However any actual expenses for boarding, lodge, etc for the children if required must be borne.
Children between 5-12 years accompanied by elders/ guardians shall be given 50% discount on daily rates. This Royalty is currently set at $65 per day.
Full time STUDENTS below the age of 25 years at the time of travel, holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions, are given 25% discount.
A group leader discount of 100% is given for every 15 paying members travelling on the same itinerary or 50% discount for every 10 paying members.
Travel Agents: Tour companies intending to put Bhutan into their programs may apply for a discounted familiarisation tour. It’s unlikely that you can manage this arrangement unless you are already a serious player in the travel industry. Bhutan Tourism has an excellent network of connections worldwide and will check your bona fides beforehand. It also requires both a pre-trip and a post-trip briefing.
Bhutan Travel Info